Thursday, February 18, 2010

Christmas hats

First majorly delayed post of Christmas presents! As well as the Christmas jumpers (which I'm sure I'll blog about at some point), I decided all the family and boyfriendly extensions deserved new hats!


My Dad's, finished way way in advance, whenI was being cocky and thinking I was going to be ahead on everything (ha), is the Swirly Hat (which seems to only be available through Ravelry now), knit in Rowan Felted Tweed Aran.
All the other hats were knit without patterns and with crossed fingers.
Mum's, knit mostly in Cashsoft Aran, was I believe the first stranded knitting I'd ever done (the little barely visible white zigzag in that photo), and my first chance to use my new Clover pompom makers - yaaaaay, so much easier than using rings of cardboard.
My brother Jack and his boyfriend Jay's hats are knit in Sirdar Balmoral and both have plastic mesh brims in as they are both highly trendy young men who don't wear hats without brims. Jack's is the grey one with more stranded/fair isle knitting, and Jay's is knit in moss stitch to match the scarf I also made him. That's made with Rowan Colourscape Chunky, which is a lovely yarn, and just enough for a one skein scarf.

(The dog did not get a hat. But he did get a squeaky purple monkey that he managed to destroy within five minutes)

My pride and joy of the hat parade was Martin's. Since he was actually around to ask, and to drive me to Hobbycraft to buy yarn, he got to choose what he wanted and asked for 'a blue and green ski hat with earflaps and bobbles and patterns and motorbikes on it please'.

Hang on, motorbikes?


Yes, motorbikes. Though they also look a bit like camels if you squint.

This is knit in Wendy Mode DK, plus bits and pieces of Other Stuff, and half lined in fleece, and has been greatly appreciated. He's worn it almost every day since Christmas, despite his workmates all taking the piss. A knitworthy young man indeed.

I have a new hat for myself too! This was finished way back in September, but got forgotten about with all the Christmas knitting. This is the Lavish Flap Hat (without flaps, obviously), knit in yummy Mirasol Miski (mmmmllama). I love the mini cable panels, but I think it looks pretty good inside out too.




P.S. Saw the Princess and the Frog today. It's pretty scary in parts, like the creepy parts of ye olde Pinocchio-era Disney. 'Bout time too. Loved it.

No comments: