New boss has changed her mind and now says I can't knit at work unless it's for display pieces (fair enough really, since I was effectively advertising yarn they don't sell), so my lovely yummy debbie bliss knitting has been replaced by horrific Sirdar Frenzy. Ok, horrific is a bit much, I can't look down on anyone for liking it, but it's really not my taste. And it's so bloody annoying going through the whole piece afterwards pulling all the strips out! I spend longer doing that than the knitting!
I did manage to finish one sock before my work-knitting was stopped, but I'm not taking a photo yet in case it tricks me into thinking I'm finished and don't need to do a second one. Not entirely convinced I'll do socks again, it seems way too much time and effort for something that no one's going to notice.
So, despite the fact the Secret Pals haven't been announced yet:
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I used to go for the acrylic stuff when I first started because it was cheap and pretty much all I could get, but I've since decided that I may as well have nice yarn if I'm going to put a lot of time and effort into something. Provided I don't start knitting fast enough to bankrupt myself.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
No, neither. Can't really see me spinning, I'd possibly learn to crochet for edgings/lace etc.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
Nope. Unless you're planning to send me Elastoplast. None too fond of smoke though.
4. How long have you been knitting?
Since just before last Christmas
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes....I think....I will update with that later. ETA: Found it! Here it is.
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Um, not much of a fan of bath products, I just go for whatever gets me clean really. As for nice candles, they look very pretty, but because of that I can never bring myself to burn them so they just sit around for years gathering dust.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Oh yes. I eat far too many sweets. Anything fruity/gummy/fizzy/generally yum is gooood, as is copious amounts of milk chocolate (as long as there's no nuts).
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Can't think of anything really. I get a sense of satisfaction from sewing things, but it takes a great leap of motivation to actually get started. Same with drawing/painting, which I could really do with some practice on.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Film soundtracks mostly, I like music that reminds me of something. I also like classical music, mainly the melodramatic kind (O Fortuna, Night on Bare Mountain, Hall of the Mountain King), and as for popular music, I'm not really sure how to classify my tastes...there's a list in that profile up there. I don't think my computer's really up to much more these days, the noises it makes tend to drown out whatever music I'm playing anyway. Just waiting for it to explode really. I have got a Hi-MD Minidisc player though.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Mainly blues, greens (dark) and purples. Black, white, grey, brown and red are good too. Maybe what I don't like would be easier. I look horrible in yellow, and orange and pink are a bit iffy if I can't try it on first.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Still living with my parents at the moment. My little brother Jack's just gone to uni (my LITTLE brother's gone to uni before me, how humiliating) and there's also a useless spaniel who sits and snores at us all day.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
Short term: earn enough in my gap year to go do conservation project in Mexico and holiday in America next summer.
Medium term: get a decent grade at uni (costume design) and get into a job I enjoy.
Long term: get married and have kids. Inflict genes on world in general. Raise army.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Not really been knitting long enough to say I have a favourite. Probably DK weight though.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Fun fur. Bleh. And the James C. Brett stuff I'm using at the moment, I keep finding knots in it.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Learning new techniques! Since learning the basics I've taught myself lace, cables, circulars and DPNs. Next up, fairisle and designing.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Jumpers/cardigans. For me, because I'm greedy :P
17. What are you knitting right now?
A lace shawl, a big roll-neck jumper, a pair of socks and Tempting
18. What do you think about ponchos?
Most of them I'm fairly indifferent about. A couple are ok but I'd rather spend my time knitting something I know I'm going to like.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
I'm loving my circulars on Tempting, but I have yet to discover how easy they are on a average jumper with normal sleeves. I may get scared and go back to straights (I can pinch them off my Mum that way)
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Aluminium or plastic, I tend to be too tight on wood.
21. Are you a sock knitter?
Probably not, see above.
22. How did you learn to knit?
My Mum taught me the basics, then I expanded on that from books and the internet.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
About 4 months I think.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Anything underwater, especially turtles, penguins and huge shoals of fish.
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Vacation holiday or special occasion holiday? Um vacation wise, the dive holiday in Tenerife I went on in June, special occasion wise definitely Christmas. I instantly turn into a little kid when the sparkles go up. And the food! Oh my god the food.......
26. Is there anything that you collect?
No, unless too many books count.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
None, I can only get Knitting and Simply Knitting where I live and I wasn't overly keen on them.
28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
See the Amazon list, once I get it working...
29. Any patterns you have been coveting, but haven't bought for one reason or another?
Most of the patterns I want are free, but I have been lusting after this one. I don't intend to spend £10 on it since it's in Rowan magazine 34, but so far people keep outbidding me on ebay and I don't want to pay full price when there's so many free patterns I want to knit.
ETA: 30. What are your foot measurements, and what kind of socks do you like?
Foot circumference: 8.5"
Foot length: L9.5" R9"
Is that all you need? I've no idea. I like thick socks I can wear with my walking boots, since I don't have enough of those.